As many of us know, vandalism is a real problem in many communities, but there is something we can do:
- Ensure property is well lit at all times. Be sure that property throughout the community, especially common areas, is well lit.
- Start and get involved in a neighborhood watch program. Even if your community does not have a neighborhood watch, be the nosy neighbor. Take the time to peak out your window or door. Look around and if you see something suspicious--call the cops!
- Clean up graffiti as soon as possible.
- Report all crime to local police.
- Use unbreakable glass and fixtures.
- Put up and lock away all tools, machinery, and lawn furniture.
- Report teens engaging in anti-social behavior (speeding, loud music, in common areas after they close, etc.). Complete log sheets to keep a record of anti-social behavior.
- Contact local youth workers to find out what activities are available for young people.
- And, if all else fails: Prosecute--if not the juvenile, the parent.